Thursday, November 11, 2010

Runway Inspiration


I don’t watch television much, but after reading some blog posts about Project Runway, I watched an episode online, and I was hooked! It’s now my Friday guilty pleasure to watch it when I’m supposed to be doing real work. A few weeks ago, the challenge was to design looks that fit into Heidi Klum’s (the show hostess) new active clothing line. I was inspired by the color blocked designs of Andy and Mondo, and decided to create a simple color blocked tunic for myself. 


It was a great way to use up some of my overflowing stash. I had an odd shaped piece of heavy grey knit that came off a remnant table, and some polyester peachskin that I bought because I fell in love with the dusty plum color, even though I don’t usually wear slinky synthetics. Combining the two fabrics was perfect- nice color, comfy stretch. Although it’s not runway ready, it is shopping-errand-day worthy!

To add a little texture, I created some scalloped trim from a bias strip of the plum fabric and stitched it to the neckline. (Ignore the tomato colored t-shirt; it's the standard uniform of my dressform Stella.) Soon I’ll write a small tutorial on how to make your own trim.

No comments: