Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Another Tunic

Just a quick pic today. Another tunic I made up using my basic t-shirt pattern. A double inset in the v-neck was a little interesting to figure out. Knits are so fun and quick. This was about 2 hours of stitching, most of which was spent on the neckline. But it took no time to cut out- just fold over the rounded neck pattern to create the v-neck, and fold and cut the stripe in the middle. I love cozy tunics and fast projects!

I played around with different shapes around the neckline, and here's what I came up with. The dark thin line is just a narrow strip of knit, cut crosswise, then folded in half and basted around the neck, right sides together.

The grey knit collar is cut in the shape of a long skinny football, then folded in half. I folded the collar again so the points matched up. I measured the circumference of the neckline, divided that in half, then used that measurement to measure from the fold in the neckline (that will be the center back) towards the points and pinned where the measurement ended. I sewed a sharply angled seam at the pin to become the center front line, pinned it around the neckline edge and stitched all the layers together. A v-collar! It sounds more complicated than it is. Try it.

No comments: